Wild Hogs Frequently Asked Questions

We often receive questions from people interested in purchasing a scooter. Here are some quick facts about how some of the scooter/motorcycle laws work in Florida. While we do our best to keep this updated, the laws frequently change, so please visit the state of Florida website for the most updated information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Why don't I see all of your scooter prices online?

A. Our scooter prices are not posted online because we are a registered Florida DMV Dealer and we are not permitted to sell scooters anywhere other than at our physical showroom locations. We are very price competitive. Please stop at one of our store locations in person.

Q. Do I have to have a License?

A. Yes. A regular Class E license will suffice for scooters 49-50cc.

If 50cc or less, these vehicles are not motorcycles by driver license law definition, S. 322.01(26), F.S., so a motorcycle endorsement is not required per S. 322.03(4), F.S..

However, to operate them on streets and roadways, you must be at least 16 years old and hold at least a regular operator (Class E) or “Motorcycle Only" driver license.

Even though these vehicles are 50cc or less, they still fall under the driver license law definition of “Motor Vehicle" and a driver license is required to operate a “motor vehicle.") SS.322.03(1), 322.01(26) and 322.05(1), F.S.

Q. Do I need a motorcycle endorsement if its over 50cc?

A. Yes. A motorcycle endorsement is required for scooters/mopeds over 50cc.


Basic rider course now required for all motorcycle endorsements starting July 1 2008, new motorcyclists must take and pass the Basic Rider Course through the Florida Rider Trainer Program before they can have the motorcycle endorsement added to their license, per Section 322.12(5)(a)., Florida Statutes.

Q. Do I have to wear a helmet?

A. Yes. In some cases helmets are required.

Anyone under 16 years of age must wear a Department approved motorcycle helmet and may only ride as a passenger on any motorcycle, moped, motor-driven cycle regardless of engine size.

A person does not need to wear a helmet while operating or riding upon a moped, scooter or other two or three-wheel motor vehicle 50cc or less, if at least 16 years of age.

Anyone 16 years of age but less than 21 years of age must wear a Department approved helmet when operating or riding upon a motorcycle. Per s. 316.211F.S.

Persons at least 21 years of age may ride a motorcycle without a helmet if they can show proof of medical insurance coverage in the amounts of at least $10,000.00 that will pay for injuries they may incur in a motorcycle crash.

A separate motorcycle medical insurance policy card or other forms of health insurance coverage will suffice, such as employee group or private health insurance cards. Law enforcement officers shall make final determination if proof of insurance is acceptable.

Q. Do I have to wear Protective Eyewear?

A. Yes. Some form of Protective Eyewear is required.

Per s. 316.211(2), a person may not operate a motorcycle as defined in s. 316.003(22), unless the person is wearing one of these Department approved eye-protective devices over his or her eyes; goggles, face shields designed for use with, and as part of an approved helmet or eyeglasses including sunglasses.

Contact lenses are not acceptable. Each device must be in good repair, free of sharp edges or projections and made of material suitable for ophthalmic use.

It shall be free from cracks, waves, bubbles or any other defect which may impair its normal visibility. Any tinted device should not impair the wearer's ability to see color and shall not be used at night.

Q. Do I have to carry motor vehicle insurance?

A. No. In some cases it is required. It other cases it is simply highly recommended. Required if simply opting not to wear a helmet. Recommended to compensate you in the event of an accident regardless of who is faulted.

You can shop around for the best quote if you opt for Insurance coverage; however, here is a helpful link to Allstate Insurance. The information is very helpful and, can be tailored according to the state and zip code you are in.

Allstate offers great coverage for gas-friendly scooters for people who have turned to scooters for gas savings -- or just because they're fun -- you'll be happy to know that Allstate offers coverage for those, too. No matter the engine size, gas or electric, Allstate provides scooter insurance for most street-legal vehicles, offering the same great protection and discounts as our motorcycle coverage.